Friday, April 2, 2010

A (less-so than intended) Brief Introduction

Here is just a short introduction.

Feel perfectly free to follow me if you'd like, this blog simply exists to do whatever it is that blogs do.

I suppose I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I am a very cheerful atheist, living in Utah. This sometimes causes me to suspect that I am living in the Truman Show, as I believe the situation itself is ripe for sitcom parody. In all seriousness though, I try not to have hard feelings against the people out here. I'm a southern girl by nature, finally coming to claim Arkansas as my motherland and I claim those overly hospitable chums of the South with absolute pride. We ARE sorry about the racism, its extermination is a work in progress.

I like to say I am liberal because it's a terribly fun thing to say in Utah, but the truth is that I'm as indepedent as they come when we're talking about politics. Actually, that's probably true for everything else. I'm a fence sitter who has found a delightful alternative to offering political solutions: demand them from everyone who whines about the Obama Administration! By no means am I frolicing with unicorns through a field of daisies over how the country is moving along, but for God's sake, it's finally moving! I've decided we'll never be 110% happy about our government, so it's just better to do what we can and concern ourselves with being happy about our lives.

That being said, politics falls on my list of favorite sports, which is unsurprisingly short. The others include Hockey and Football, because no Arkansan can call the South home without having football as a favorite sport. My love for hockey is simple: my college sucks at football, so I need another contact sport during that season to ease the pain.

The most vital things you need to know about me are probably these:
I'm a writer with no idea of her own style and a person with a very intentional style of living. I'm a lover by choice and a fighter by necessity, utilizing both to get through the day. I've always wanted to be an artist, but I'm just not fit for it. Instead, I've always painted with words because I only prefer to publish projects (yes, that includes blogs) that are at least slightly worth reading.
I'm an atheist who has loved and lost God and who has every respect for His followers with good intentions and sweet hearts. I get by with a little help from my friends.

One last thing, it's probably worth it to explain why I've titled this blog "The Neanderthal Diaries."
It has a lot of personal roots, but I'll just outline the ones that matter to an objective reader. "Neanderthal" is a common term for someone who acts primitively, so I've adopted the nickname half in jest. It is also an ancient relative of modern homo sapiens and I have a morbid fascination with evolution. Finally, the Neanderthal became extinct because of his inability to adapt; it is a warning to us. Life is about adaptation on a daily basis, so here's to rewriting the Neanderthal's history to give him one final chance to adapt. Here's to giving in, just a little, to our primitive side.

N.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment